Learn More About
Exercise Heart Rate Training Zones
What Is A Heart Rate Training Zone?
A heart rate training zone is a range that defines the lower and upper limits of training intensities. Understanding your heart rate zones allows you to train at the correct intensity to achieve your fitness goal.
Why Does Our Heart Rate Increase During Exercise?
When you perform exercise, your muscles require more oxygen. As oxygen is passed through your body via your blood system the heart needs to beat faster to consistently provide enough oxygen for your body to function.
Getting out of breath during exercise is a natural sign that your muscles are working. The more frequent that you exercise the more efficient your body will become at passing oxygen through the body.
What Is Your Maximum Heart Rate?
Everyone’s maximum heart rate differs slightly based on their age. To calculator your maximum heart rate subtract your age from 220. Therefore, if you are 25 years of age, your max heart rate would be 195 beats-per-minute (220 minus 25 = 195bpm).
Target Heart Rate For Cardiovascular Training
Heart Rate Training is a well-known method for exercising effectively. The key to making progress is to elevate your heart rate into the correct training zone, so your effort matches your goals. There are 5 main training zones all of which are based on your maximum working heart rate (an age-based calculation) and suitable for different levels of fitness and all exercise goals.
* The above is an example of the heart rate zones of someone who is aged 25.
– Training between 50-60% of your maximum heart rate is ideal for improving your overall health and get you ready to train in the higher heart rate zones. Walking is a great exercise to get your heart operating in this zone.
– Training between 60-70% of your maximum heart rate is considered as light exercise which is an ideal target for people who want to build up basic endurance and burn body fat.
– Training between 70-80% of your maximum heart rate is known as the aerobic zone and is the ideal heart rate zone for those who want to improve their aerobic fitness.
– Training between 80-100% of your maximum heart rate is the ideal heart rate zone for advanced trainers who are looking to increase their maximum performance capacity and their performance speed.
* Sudden levels of physical exertion can be dangerous. Always consult your doctor before starting any new exercise programme.