Close to 41,000 men and women are diagnosed with bowel cancer each year, making it the 3rd most common cancer type in the UK.
Our digestive system is set up to provide us with the energy and nutrients we need in order for our bodily functions to perform at their best. Bloating, constipation, fatigue, and more serious conditions all point to the need to look after our digestive system.
Some strategies to deliver optimal digestive health include:
- Aiming for 30g of daily dietary fibre
- Getting your 5-a-day fruit and veg
- Limiting your intake of refined foods and processed meats such as ham, bacon, sausages and minced meat
- Staying hydrated – not enough fluids can slow digestion
- Keeping active – a sedentary lifestyle can contribute to constipation
- Focusing on managing your daily stress levels, as excessive stress can cause both slowing of the digestive system or, for some people speeding up the process (diarrhoea)
Bowel screening is just one optional test we offer as part of our onsite employee health checks. A test kit is offered for individuals to take home and return to our lab. If you would like to talk to us about how we can support you with employee health and wellbeing in your organisation, contact us via our website, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 0800 170 1777.